Understanding License A and B Private Pay Home Care

Beginning on January 1, 2011, the State of Colorado required all current and future home care agencies to be licensed by the state. There were two choices: License “A”, which is both non-medical and Registered Nurse Services and License “B” which is non-medical home care only. Both A and B agencies must pass regular surveys/audits to ensure high standards of quality care, home safety, dependability and sound business practices.  While it seems the consumer is becoming more educated about the differences, there is still some confusion as to which type of care is needed for a loved one.

Both A and B agencies help seniors age in place and assist with most areas of a senior’s “activities of daily living”. They provide services such as cooking, cleaning, transportation, companionship, medication reminders, and other non-medical needs. These tasks can be handled by Personal Care Providers (PCPs). When a higher level of care is needed and a Licensed A agency is necessary, the caregivers are usually  Certified Nurses Assistants (CNAs) working in conjuction with Registered Nurses. Most families are able to begin care with PCPs if only general help is needed, but as the client’s needs become more complicated, the senior’s condition may mandate skilled care, those of both CNAs and Nurses. Each individual non-medical B agency owner must determine, either at the start or though on-going care, if the care needed is higher than they can legally or ethically service. Care can turn into a skilled case at any time when any of the conditions below present themselves: Continue reading